The Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge Society and the Back Bay Restoration Foundation

This viewing platform was constructed by volunteers, the dedicated individuals that make this place the haven that it is. Photo credit: Shannon Titus


My assignment this week is to highlight an organization or non-profit for my study area. Luckily for me, this is an easy one, as I am already a member of one such group. The Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge Society is a volunteer organization that is a Friend group to the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Way back in 2021, I was in smack in the middle of studying for my Master's, and I had an assignment to reach out to an official of a nonprofit of my choice. I hadn't been to Back Bay in a few years, but the place left its mark on me and so I set out to try and find someone who would be willing to talk to me about their organization. Luckily for me, I found Richard Dyer, the President of the Back Bay NWR Society. He was kind enough to let me interview him, and after hearing about how passionate he was about the newly-formed Society, I became a paying member. We are still in contact to this day, and we will hopefully be speaking again very soon. I'll update this blog following the results of that conversation. Though I very much dislike Google Slides, it provides a quick way to describe the Back Bay NWF Society, as well as the Back Bay Restoration Foundation, another organization working tirelessly to maintain the integrity of this great wetland.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting a Nonprofit in Virginia

Reflections on my Final Class